Monday 5 September 2016

Real Talk About Travel Fear

Everything that came with me to Canada
I am actually typing this from my room in Vancouver, so I made it here in one piece. Overall everything went pretty smoothly, despite getting no sleep on the plane.

The purpose of this post is to talk about my feelings as I took off from Adelaide though. I've never travelled extensively on my own and I had some serious anxiety leaving. Thoughts went through my head like "why on earth did I do this" and "oh god this is really happening" and even "the plane is going to crash aaaahhh". This was a really surreal moment for me as I have never been reduced to this level of irrationality before in my life.

Leaving everyone I know is a pretty big deal which I suppose I didn't really think about until I was sitting there with nothing to do for several hours over the Pacific. In some ways I'm glad I pent up that emotion, because I might not have gone on this exchange if I'd thought about it too hard due to my fear. Needless to say, I have a new respect for people who decide to do this for real and immigrate to a foreign country, sometimes having to learn a new language. I miss my parents but being here really is incredible and I'm glad I've taken myself out of my comfort zone.

1 comment:

  1. I picked up a few signs that you were a bit worried but you hid it well. Ride safely and don't scare the bears.

    ReplyDelete